Here is a list of my favorite snacks to stow away in a desk drawer:
1. Quakes Rice Cakes. Only 60 calories for eight mini rice cakes, which come in assorted flavors. Absolutely delicious, particularly Apple Cinnamon, pictured above.
2. Almonds. One ounce (about 20-24 almonds) is approximately 170 calories and contains 12% of your daily protein, as well as many other vitamins. Very satisfying.
3. Instant Oatmeal. Keep a few packets in a drawer, add 1/3 cup of water and heat in the microwave for 90 seconds, and voila, you have a filling snack for only 130 calories! Tip: I always make sure to get the flavors that have 25% less sugar, then add an artificial sweetener as needed.
4. Dried fruit. A quarter cup is only 110-130 calories and count as your daily servings of fruit and vegetables.
5. Protein Bar. There are so many different choices out there, some healthier than others, and each contains varying levels of protein, carbohydrates, fat, and sugar. Be sure to carefully examine the one you are choosing
6. Cheese. A great source of protein. My favorite is mozzarella string cheese, which contain 8 grams of protein and are only 80 calories in one stick. They have 6 grams of fat, though, so eat them in moderation.
7. Special K Cereal Bars. I love any kind of cereal, so this is one of my favorite snacks. At only 90 calories, it's filling and delicious.
8. Whole Grain Crackers. Seven crackers for 120 calories, they are even more tasty when dipped in hummus, if available, which is also a healthy and delicious topping.
9. Tea. Once in a while, I think I'm hungry when I'm actually just thirsty, so it's good to have some tea to reach for in those uncertain occasions.
10. Dark chocolate. Sometimes, you just really need some chocolate. In those occasions, be sure that the chocolate you are reaching for is of the dark variety in order to feel guilt free. It has many health benefits, such as that it contains flavonoids, which act as antioxidants, protecting the body from aging. A little bit goes a long way, though, so be sure to eat this in moderation.
Feel free to add any of your own suggestions in the comments!
Post a Comment